February was an eventful month for the team. We conducted daily foot patrols successfully together with the Kenya Wildlife Service; and had the following results:
- 3 cases of illegal fishing: 1 net and 2 fishing spears were confiscated and suspects given warning.
- 3 cases of illegal palm wine harvesting: 2 knives and machetes were confiscated and suspects warned
- 2 cases of charcoal burning and transporting: 3 bags of charcoal, 1 spade and 2 shovels confiscated
- 1 case of deforestation: 10 posts recovered
- 1 case of bushmeat poaching: 2 snares and 1 bicycle recovered.
|Destruction caused by illegal palm wine harvesting|
|Doum palms have their leaves cut off to tap palm wine, |
they often die as a result
|Charcoal bag confiscated|