Skip to main content

Meeting with Dr. Richard Leakey

Wilbur Smith’s "Elephant Song". I remember the first time I read that book, about 5 years ago. His words cut through my heart like a heated knife through butter. I could imagine it so vividly, I may as well have been there and borne witness to the massacre of the gentle giants we all know as the elephant.
I never could finish that book; it was too painful for my heart to bear. Elephants have always had a special place in my heart, as do all wildlife. Something purely magical about each one that I cannot really explain. Having grown up in the eighties, one couldn’t help but be drawn to the politics and controversy surrounding these majestic ‘beasts’ of the African wilderness. I grew up in that time. Hunts were the norm a few years prior, and then, the big one. The ivory ban. Kenya was put on the world map in a gust of flames and a cloud of smoke thick as the canopy of our once great forests.
How I remember that day. I was glued to that television like my life was on the line. I watched as this gigantic heap of elephant tusks, was set ablaze. I was only seven at the time, and aside from the burning pyre of ivory, I remember one man. A man whom I watched on that same television countless times as the years passed, changing the face of Kenya’s political scene.
Dr. Richard Leakey.
The name in itself rings of such commitment, such dedication to a nation I myself have now become in awe of. Little did I know then, that I would soon become just as engrossed with Africa as the man I watched on that television screen, maybe even a little bit more...
As I grew older, thus began my love affair with Kenya’s wildlife. I was always warned of my tempestuous ways with animals, but I knew in my heart, that I finally, and completely, belong.
Wildlife brings to me a peace no man ever could, a contentment in my heart that I can only describe as the feeling of the top of an acacia on the African savannah, when the sun sets upon it, embracing it with its warm, orange rays. How I love my land, no words could ever do justice in explaining.
I began to do volunteer work with wildlife, beginning with captive wildlife and then on to foot patrols, which I continue to do until today. Somewhere along the way, I met a wise friend, and acquired a read by the hand of Dr. Leakey, “Wildlife Wars”. A few chapters in, and suddenly I was seven years old again. My heart began beating differently, and my life was going to change, again.
Every time I turned a page, I said to myself, “I must meet this man”. And every time I closed the book, I said, “I’m going to save the world”. To any ordinary, modern man, those would seem such foolish words, but only I know of their worth. I looked everywhere for Dr.Leakey, I knew he had set up and then consequently left, a wildlife blog called wildlife direct. I also knew, he was involved still in archaeology up in Turkana, and also heard from a few conservationists I had met along the way, of his recent visits to Nairobi. How I longed for a chance to meet with him.
It has been almost two years since that time, and yesterday, Friday the 10th of June, 2011; I met with the man himself. Dr. Richard Leakey.
After all this time, I finally met the man I promised myself I would meet. At first, there was a great feeling of achievement before I realised, that I really had no planned “meeting agenda”. I didn’t care. All I was thinking of was... nothing!
I walked into his office, and there he sat, iconic as ever, behind a wooden desk, with a little laptop and his mobile phone. I shook his hand and was overwhelmed. I couldn’t believe it, after all these years...
His mobile phone rang and I turned to look by the window, and noticed his coat hanger. I smiled to myself as I realised I had seen that green checked jacket in so many photographs in so many places. Then I turned to him, and began to tell him my story, and what my plans were for wildlife.
He listened intently, and then leaned back and said, “That’s quite a story!”. I nodded, and he then began to tell me about how wildlife still has hope in Kenya. How we need to have dreams and believe in them, and how we need to fix big things instead of little ones, because if ever it was needed, it is needed now.
We did not meet for long, but his words will stay with me for a very long time. I know what he said to me, and he told me that I have his support in my plans. For the moment, that is all I need...
All I can add, is that I sure hope I will have many more meetings with Dr. Leakey. He is truly a legend in wildlife conservation, and truly a hero for me.
I am humbled by this man, and I hope that he will be my mentor, as I take my first steps into a world I know little of, but a world that I know, will change things.

Comments

  1. Well done Raabia. A big step forward and a good mentor to have in Dr Richard leakey



    Naseem

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! You recommended that book to me when we met in Kenya last year and I devoured it! A fascinating book and Dr Richard Leakey became an icon to me too!
    That's quite an achievement! Can't wait to read about your next meeting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Done Raabia : You are an inspiration :

    ReplyDelete
  4. Raabia - what a truly wonderful read!

    I can smell and touch your passion & am simply thrilled you could smell and touch his ethos...in reality!

    Keep up the superlative work. You're living your dreams - and they touch others! That's all that matters, coz you truly make a difference when others are indifferent!!! Hugs +++

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely piece of writing.

    It says little but, at the same time says SO MUCH!

    I too have a deep love for Africa and its wildlife and especially for Elephant stemming back from an early age and have read that book amongst many others.

    As tears well up, I know that your plans will come to fruition and you will succeed in your endeavours and if at any time I can help you to achieve your aims, in any way, small or large, include me in!

    Best Wishes

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you for your prayers and wishes, and comments! i hope i succeed in my endeavours, and i'm grateful for your support!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wildlife Warrior - you are the future, Raabia and I am so glad you have the ear and support of Dr Leakey. Good work for The Wildlife!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Raabia, you met the right man. I still have the letter his father wrote to me in the past.

    I wish I could help you in your war. I do it in a small way for the circus elephants in Europe. My 6 years in Zimbabwe and my one month holiday in Kenya's wild-parks changed my life.

    Keep it up girl and use all the networks there are today to make the world aware of the slaughter of African wildlife. Alice

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

...Of White Blood.

It is the night of the 18th of July, 2011. 0400hrs, and I have been tossing and turning all night. It is only hours away, and I will be there in person. The Ivory Burn. When I was a little girl, I watched it on the television, and read about it for many years in many books and prints. It moved me. It moulded me. Tonight, it frightens me. I didn’t know back then, that I would live to witness another event of this nature. I didn’t know back then, that I would see the face of its reason. So here I am, wondering what the coming hours will bring. More than anything else, I fear how I will feel. Not too many months ago, I had the honour of assisting Danny Woodley’s team in Tsavo West with some rhino tracking and a census as a volunteer. I learnt a lot from that trip, and saw a lot too. After our day of tracking, I requested to see some of the confiscated trophies from the store. Three rangers unlocked the huge padlock and walked into a very dark room. My heart did not know what to expect. Mi

What’s that “60” on your profile picture mean?

I can’t tell you how many people have asked me that question... Everytime i hear it, i shed a silent tear... “60”... just a number, yet for me, a symbol of strength, courage, failure, perseverance, suffering, love, magnificence, torture, and so much more... I remember waking up in the morning, excited to be packing my supplies for rukinga, where I volunteer for wildlife works regularly on their anti-poaching patrols and desnaring activites. I got my menu sorted, checked my sunblock and toothbrush (the things I ALWAYS seem to leave behind! ), and started loading everything in the car. Throught the entire busride, I couldn’t stop thinking of what I would encounter this time, every time is different, some days are quiet, some days, are unbelievably eventful... I slept the rest of the way. I arrived in rukinga later that night, and was greeted by one of the staff, I couldn’t sleep without getting an update first; I had been told about the rise in poaching in that area, especially elephant