Skip to main content

Someone asked me, "do you still cry at the atrocious things you see or over time become hardened to it?" ...

This was my reply to Lisa Tieni:

lisa...
i'm not sure my words will be helpful, but i will write from the heart, as i always do...
do i still cry?...
lisa,
everyday... without fail... i have seen things that would crumble a man in a second, i have smelt the death of wildlife, i have touched it, i have heard its sound, the sound of working maggots inside the body of a poached, faceless elephant...
there is no getting over it...
i have held dying animals, and i remember them all the time, i remember the tears they shed on my clothes, i remember the pain in their cries, in their eyes...
there is no getting over it...
i remember my ol'boy... George. my lion spirit, and best friend, i remember the day he was taken from me, they din't even call me, i didn't know... i never got to say goodbye... i was his only friend, his only company all those years in his rusty cage... i never got to tell him, it would all be ok, and he would be in a better place...
i never got to hold my ol'boy and wipe his tears, ease his fear...
when i got there, i was told, it took several shots to put him down, and they took him out "in pieces"...
there is no getting over it...
but, i live in his spirit every day.
i live in their memory everyday...
i live in a hope for their kind and their families, everyday...
i live in tears, but also in strength, from the love they gave me in their short time in my life.
and this, is enough for me.
i don't care about other people, yesterday, i was walking through town, crying inconsolably in cafe's with my friends, i dint care what everyone thought...
"60", deserves to be grieved for. she deserves to be remembered, and to be loved enough, that she is worth some tears...
so yes, i cry. but i NEVER lose focus of what i must do. i NEVER forget them, and i NEVER lose hope.
perhaps you will find my 2-day rule helpful.
when i feel REALLY sad, i give myself 2days. 2 days to cry it out, scream, whatever i need to "detox"...
then, i come back to the cause i have dedicated my life to, a cause i cannot walk out on, a cause i fight for until my final day, a cause i must win. and i'm stronger...
you feel hurt, because you CARE. and that raises you above other people higher than you know. never step down, you're closer to heaven than you think ;)
and heaven, is where they are... those we have loved, and lost...
God knows, i can't wait to see george again!... :')
Raabia

Comments

  1. I think you're wonderful and your two day rule is very smart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a big heart..Keep doing the good work..May lord be with you in all your acts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful, Raabia, wonderful.

    Please keep following your speaker's heart. It is SO, so important for us all here in Africa to have voices such as yours heard, long and hard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful and moving. I agree with Zen, the two day rule is smart. Will apply it too.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! I admire the courage and strength you have, May Allah give you the determination to keep going, God knows we need many more like you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meeting with Dr. Richard Leakey

Wilbur Smith’s "Elephant Song". I remember the first time I read that book, about 5 years ago. His words cut through my heart like a heated knife through butter. I could imagine it so vividly, I may as well have been there and borne witness to the massacre of the gentle giants we all know as the elephant. I never could finish that book; it was too painful for my heart to bear. Elephants have always had a special place in my heart, as do all wildlife. Something purely magical about each one that I cannot really explain. Having grown up in the eighties, one couldn’t help but be drawn to the politics and controversy surrounding these majestic ‘beasts’ of the African wilderness. I grew up in that time. Hunts were the norm a few years prior, and then, the big one. The ivory ban. Kenya was put on the world map in a gust of flames and a cloud of smoke thick as the canopy of our once great forests. How I remember that day. I was glued to that television like my life was on the line.

My Tomorrow, Today.

My deepest desire is freedom. My earnest wish is peace. In my few years of fighting, we will win, i know this. There are days I wish to run and live free. Live joyfully among the beasts and the trees. Alas my heart cannot know peace. I was built, for bigger things. When the rivers run free, and the wilderness is safe I will create within it, my own little nest I shall not steal, I shall not burn This will be my right, this I will earn. No matter how many tears I shed, I will weep no more, indeed, I too, have bled. Pray for me, brother, my fight is yours for the children of tomorrow, this is our war. Until we are safe, and our souls truly free I continue to dream of my little nest under a tree. The city lights are too bright, it's sounds frighten me This is a new Africa, the belly of greed By day they smile, by night the steal, all of Africa's treasures, all our future meals. Those we hoped would bring salvation, are bit by demons, they are our damnation While others fall, and f

LOST BATTLES.

It has been a while since I last posted anything meaningful. The last year or so has brought much pain and tribulation to my already tumultuous life.   For many months now, this has been my profile photo on WhatsApp, and so many have asked me about it. Today, I am ready to tell this story. The image is of a three year old male leopard. A beautiful boy, in his prime. It took us two days to track him down just following his growls after reports came in from the community about a marauding “lion” that seemed to be caught in a snare trap. I suppose no one dared get close enough to see the rosettes on his fur gleaming in the sunshine. What a sight he was. We felt so privileged to be in his company. The bush was very dense, and we could only view him from about 80m away as we weren’t sure he wouldn't break free and pounce.   My phone camera has a pretty decent zoom, and I managed to get a decent enough photograph to send off to the KWS wildlife vet, in order for him to mobilise a plane.